Reports & News - 1st, 2nd and 3rd Acebird long distance combine 3, Region 3 Prov 8/GOU - Will & Falco Ebben, Beneden-Leeuwen
Outstanding, having the first three Acebirds on the long distance races in their combine, a brilliant example of the extraordinary performances of Will & Falco Ebben, Beneden-Leeuwen. These birds were also placed 1, 6 and 10 in region 3 of Afdeling 8, the biggest county in the Netherlands.
The partnership of Will and his nephew Falco Ebben is a continuous successtory for at least ten years now and they excel on the long distance races. Their performance becomes stunning when you realize that their loft counts a total of only 6 meters, containing a maximum of 12 flying couples in the old birds season. From 2004 till 2011 their total first prizes is an amazing 69, competing against an average of 1.627 birds. Amongst them are three NPO-firsts in Afdeling 8/GOU and a first NPO in the Southern part of Afdeling 8 twice!
These extraordinary results have also brought a broad collection of championships to the Ebben’s loft. They are competing with approximately 600 lofts in Region 3 of Afdeling/GOU and their statistics so far are 3 x 1st, 2nd, 4th and 7th loft championships within the past seven years on the longdistance races (400-700 km). One of their best results however was the 5th position in the National championschip long distance NPO in 2009. The question is raised if there are any better performing lofts with such a small number of birds?
Building of a strain
In the early 90’s Will & Falco Ebben founded their pigeonloft and started their partnership. Their first golden breeder originates from this period, it’s stockbird, ‘Suuske’. This golden breedinghen is one of the last descendants of the legendary '46' Verbart, and became mother of (amongst others) NL03-2083516 'Roosje' (6 1sts in large combine), NL04-1720208 'Masja' (4 x 1st), NL01-1507048 'Elfpenner' (3 x 1st) and NL04-5418004 'Zeno' (firstprize winner and father to two hens with five 1sts in large combine).
It was 1998 when Falco bought ten eggs at the worldfamous Ad Schaerlaeckens from Baarle-Nassau. With these pigeons he directly hit the bullseye. They were youngsters from the racingloft, but were bred in one of Ad’s best years ever. ‘That is when you have to take your chances, in the best years of a topfancier ’ says Falco. ‘Those pigeons really seem to breed better in their best seasons.’ The next couple of years he went back to A.S. regularly for some extra birds.
Then in 2000 Falco met ‘the Klak of IJzendoorn’ and they got along quite well. Also Arie van Beek was in his glorious days then. In a number of years no less than 25 birds were transferred to Falco’s loft. Amongst them some superb breeders with a huge effect on the current strain.
From 2003 and onwards the birds of Falco’s friend in sport Nico-Jan Koenders were brought in. These pigeons had an enormous impact on the Ebben-strain. Several top birds were transferred from the loft in Westervoort to Beneden-Leeuwen.
Finally, ten birds were obtained by grandmaster Gaby Vandenabeele from Dentergem and again it matched perfectly.
It is the combination of these breeds which were carefully crossed and inbred that finallly flavoured the successful recipe of the ‘Ebbenpigeon’ which is an asset to every pigeonbreeder worldwide
And successes elsewhere too!
When you own such a small colony of topbirds, selection is tough and ruthless, only the very best survive. The standard is very high, which in turn means that others who came for Ebbenpigeons almost immediately hit it off like a rocket. The number of references is enormous and still growing, which is unique considering the small breeding loft of only 12 couples (from 2012 on it will be containing only 9 couples).
The references stated here are only a small selection of 2011. Amongst them are the top prizes (8 times Teletext!) and numerous acebirds with Ebbenancestry in 2011. Probably the best example is the 1st acebird middle long distance of Afdeling 11/Friesland ’96 at Hatty and Adriaan Roest.
- 30 april B. Wolf, Didam 10th Nijvel (+ Teletekst) 28.187 birds, direct Ebben
- 21 may P. van de Berg & Zn 5th TT Nanteuil le Haudouin 18.340 birds 50% Ebben
- 21 may P. van de Berg & Zn 9th TT Nanteuil le Haudouin 18.340 birds 50% Ebben
- 28 may C. Aalpoel, Apeldoorn 1st Orléans combine 900 birds 75% Ebben
- 4 june JeRo Huisman, Apeldoorn 1st Pommeroeul 1.648 birds 100% Ebben
- 7 june T. Geitenbeek, Heelsum 1st Breuil le Vert 2.299 birds (2e TT) 75% Ebben
- 11 june C. Aalpoel, Apeldoorn 2nd NPO Chateaudun 5.000 birds (1e combine) 75% Ebben
- 18 june JeRo Huisman, Apeldoorn 1st TT Nanteuil le Haudouin 11.058 birds 100% Ebben
- 18 june T. Geitenbeek, Heelsum 1st Nanteuil le Haudouin 2.085 birds (2e TT) 75% Ebben
- 25 june JeRo Huisman, Apeldoorn 1st Blois combine 650 birds 50% Ebben
- 10 july N. Pronk, Mill 1st Strombeek 1.934 birds 25% Ebben
- 17 july N. Pronk, Mill 1st Pommeroeul 1.203 birds 25% Ebben
- 23 july B. Wolf, Didam 2nd NPO Vierzon 4.200 birds (1st combine) direct Ebben
- 1 august A. Augustinus, Lisse 11th NPO Poitiers 2.302 birds 100% Ebben
- 7 august Comb. Hilbrands & Groenbroek 1st Lommel 1.888 birds 100% Ebben
- 10 august H. & A. Roest, Tijnje 1st Den Bosch 2.302 birds 50% Ebben
- 3 september Comb. Van Dongen, Terheijden 1st St. Quentin 2.862 birds 50% Ebben
- 3 september C. Aalpoel, Apeldoorn 1st Breuil le Vert 1.283 birds 50% Ebben
- 10 september N. Pronk, Mill 1st Orléans CC 572 birds 50% Ebben
Results 2011 (just 1:10 prizes stated here):
- 28/5, Orléans (511 km) 1.027 birds: 8, 22, 41, 42, 72, 82 etc. (8 prizes out of 20 basketted)
NPO against 5.014 birds: 68, 138, 212, 213, 361 etc.
- 11/6, Châteaudun (518 km), 807birds: 1, 3, 9, 19, 20, 42, 91 etc. (11/16)
NPO against 4.096 birds: 14, 21, 75, 120, 123 etc.
- 9/7, Bourges (578 km), 1.498 birds: 5, 8, 23, 61, 102 etc. (9/13)
NPO against 2.908 birds: 23, 42, 99, 217, 341 etc.
- 24/7, Châteauroux, 1.094 birds: 8, 11, 12, 14, 57, 80, 104 etc. (8/13)
NPO against 2.339 birds: 38, 44, 45, 47, 176, 222, 287 etc.
It’s not only on the long-distance races were the pigeons of Will & Falco excel, they are also fit to win on the short races:
- 16/4, Meer (69 km), 245 birds: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 etc. (13/26)
- 23/4 Duffel (113 km), 324 birds: 1, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16 etc. (18/25)
- 30/4, Strombeek (140 km), 277 birds: 1, 2, 3, 13, 18, 23, 26 etc. (16/26)
- 14/5 , Morlincourt (311 km), 243 birds: 1 (also 1st Region against 5.338 birds), 2, 6, 7, 8, 12, 16, 17 etc. (10/23)
- 21 mei, Epehy (268 km), 225 birds: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20 etc. (19/23)
The wait is over next week when the lofts of Will & Falco Ebben will open up for the first auction on DreamPigeons. They have selected 13 youngsters originating from the best there is in their lofts. Eleven youngsters born last summer are bred from their topbreeders. And two children bred this fall from their top-ace ‘D-Day’(1st acebird short distance 2010, 2nd acebird long distance 2011 both in the combine and winner of 11 times 1:100) complete this fantastic lot of birds. Special attention is asked for the last youngster bred from the topstuds ‘Zeno’x ‘Petra’ and the very last child out of ‘Benjamin’x ‘Bontje’ (parents ‘D-Day’) which will be sold.